Sunday, September 20, 2009

Emmy Predictions


I'm gonna admit it, I'm a sucker for these big awards shows; in particular the Oscars, the Golden Globes, and the Emmys. Tonight we will be treated to the Emmys, a celebration of all things television. This year's show looks to be returning to form after the rather disappointing show last year. With host Neil Patrick Harris and the main categories being expanded from five to seven nominees, there could be a few surprises in store. Overall it's shaping up to be a terrific night of television.

Being as everything is, I see fit to make my own predictions for all of the major categories, breaking it down between who will most likely win, and who I think should win. Now I will state that for the most part these are just a bunch of educated guesses. Without further ado:

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
Most Likely to Win - Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
Should Win - Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
This is a tough category to call. Pretty much every Actress nominated has a good shot, but Mad Men continues to be undeniably popular with critics and the Academy, so I think Elisabeth Moss stands the best chance.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series:
Most Likely to Win - Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Should Win - Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
I think this is Bryan Cranston's year. While it is entirely possible that someone like Hugh Laurie or Jon Hamm will sweep in and take it away, Cranston has a good number of supporters out there, enough to get him the Emmy.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series:
Most Likely to Win - Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Should Win - Tina Fey, 30 Rock
While Tina Fey walked away with this same award last year, I still think she is the best of all the contenders and it is entirely possible for her to get it two years in a row. Plus, who doesn't enjoy 30 Rock?

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series:
Most Likely to Win -
Tony Shalhoub, Monk
Should Win - Jermaine Clement, Flight of the Conchords
Just like the others, this one is a pretty stiff race, coming down mainly between Steve Carell, Alec Baldwin, and Tony Shalhoub, but I think this being Monk's last season will give Shalhoub a slight edge. Of course I still think Jermaine is the best of the crowd, definitely the funniest. Only thing is, where is Brett in these proceedings?

Outstanding Comedy Series:
Most Likely to Win - 30 Rock
Should Win - Entourage
While I think 30 Rock is a terrific show, Entourage's fifth season was the best in the show's history, packed with some truly memorable moments. Course the 30 Rock train is too strong for anything else to usurp it, giving it this award for two years running.

Outstanding Drama Series:
Most Likely to Win
- Mad Men
Should Win - Lost
Okay, I've turned into a bit of a fanboy here, but Lost really is the best show currently on television in my opinion. It deserves this award every year, but has not won it since its first season. While Mad Men is a good show, I'd love to see Lost win it once more.

And that's it. Tune in tonight at 7 p.m. Central Time on CBS to see if any of my predictions are right. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment