Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Iron Man vs. George Bailey


Now I'll preface this by saying I'm about as huge of a Spielberg fan as they come, but I'm not too terribly excited about his latest film, the remake of the classic Jimmy Stewart film, Harvey. Harvey is a genuine classic and is one of Jimmy Stewart's most memorable roles, but of course Hollywood sees it fit to reimagine the tale for modern day.

Recently the rumor mill has been churning on this film as to who will play Stewart's role, and Variety seems to have the inside scoop, stating that Robert Downey Jr. is in talks to play the part. While I enjoy Downey Jr. as an actor, I don't think he is the best actor for this particular part. Tom Hanks or Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be more in keeping with the character from the original play and film.

I've been knocking this idea of Downey Jr. playing the role around in my head, and I just can't see it. I feel it's either really inspired casting (which if Spielberg wanted to be really inspired I'd say go with Sam Rockwell) or it's a grab for money cause Downey Jr. is the hot-ticket right now. Course also this new version of the film could be so different from the original that Downey Jr. is in fact perfect for the part. Time will tell, but at the current moment I'm bewildered, but if anyone can prove me wrong it's "The Beard".

No comments:

Post a Comment