Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Who Should Host the Oscars?


This is a question that is on the tongues of many right now after Sunday night's Emmys. Neil Patrick Harris did a good job hosting, and after doing both the Emmys and the Tonys, many are thinking that the only thing left is the Oscars. While I think Neil Patrick Harris would do fairly well at the Oscars, based off of his Emmys hosting performance, I doubt the Academy would go with him, simply because he's a TV actor and also he has already hosted two other major awards ceremonies, and the Oscars would hate to look like they're copying the Emmys and the Tonys. So this leaves the question, who else is there?

Many have been calling for the likes of Ricky Gervais or Kevin Spacey to do it for years. While both of those choices may be good, I fear Spacey would get far too political, and I'm not sure Gervais' brand of comedy could sustain a three-hour program. So who are the other contenders?

Well at the current moment there are no other frontrunners, but at this point last year no one even thought of Hugh Jackman hosting, and he wound up doing a terrific job. Since it looks like the Oscar host announcement is a ways off, I'll simply spout off my top three choices to host the Oscars.

3. Demetri Martin - He's a funny guy, terrific stand up comedian, and he's also recently turned into film star with the film Taking Woodstock. While Martin is a long shot, and he might be seen as too young for the job, I think given the chance he'd do well.

2. Billy Crystal - He is one of my favorite Oscar hosts from year's past, and he was insanely funny. I would love to see him get a chance to host once again.

1. Conan O'Brien - I love Conan. He's my favorite of the late night talk show hosts. He hosted the Emmys a few years back and was terrific. I would love to see what he'd do with the Oscars. Oh, the possibilities.

Perhaps one of these guys will get it. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment