Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cyber Crimefighters!


When it comes to anime (Japanese animation) there are very few series that I feel could become good live-action films, Ghost in the Shell is one of those few.

Ghost in the Shell is a long-running anime series in Japan, spawning countless novels, manga, and animated feature length films. The story follows cyber police in the future fighting cybercrime. It's a gigantic sci-fi action/thriller, definitely a potential summer blockbuster in the making.

Back last year it was announced that Dreamworks had bought the rights to produce a live-action adaptation of the classic anime series as a potential directing vehicle for Spielberg. I found this intriguing news, but not much had been said about this film over the past year, now it's being reported that screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis (Shutter Island) has been hired to pen the script to the film.

Overall, I'm very excited for this film and hope everything comes together, because I can really see this as the next big sci-fi blockbuster. It has tons of action and is actually smart. While I would love to see Spielberg direct this film, I'm afraid that he already has too many irons in the fire to be that likely of a choice, but it is possible. Who else if Spielberg can't do it? I say Neil Blomkamp.

Blomkamp directed this past summer's District 9. Blomkamp has proven that he can not only handle science fiction and make it believable and intriguing, but he has also proven that he is a director with a unique vision. I believe Blomkamp could uphold the integrity of the original and deliver an instant science fiction classic. I know countless fanboys would shell out millions of dollars to see this one. Here's hoping.

1 comment:

  1. I would really like to see how Blomkamp would handle Ghost in the Shell having seen District 9.

    ReplyDelete