Monday, October 19, 2009

What About Paul?


Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, comedy gold as far as I'm concerned. They inspire true hilarity. Obviously they have great chemistry, and it's that dynamic between one another that makes them enjoyable to watch onscreen. The Dynamic Duo from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz have reteamed again for the new sci-fi/comedy, Paul, due out for release sometime next year.

Paul is the story of two comic book geeks who travel to the U.S. and run into an alien at Area 51. The alien's name is Paul, who will be voiced by comedian Seth Rogen.

While I am extremely excited to see this film, I hope that this isn't the duo's first bomb. Unlike their previous two films together, the script was written by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, not by Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright (Wright who directed both of their previous two collaborations). This current film is being directed by Greg Mottola, who knows his comedy pretty well; while I never saw Adventureland, Superbad was actually quite funny for such a vulgar comedy. My biggest fear, or question rather, is what will this duo be like without Edgar Wright at the helm?

While I'm of the thought that the director doesn't necessarily make the actors, Wright not only directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but he also co-wrote them with Pegg. How much of the humor in those two films was of Wright's creation? As well, how different is Nick Frost's humor and writing style from Wright's?

These are all legitimate concerns, but I actually find my own concerns to be stupid. Unlike so many comedic duos out there, both Pegg and Frost seem to be going out there and trying something a little different in tone and style, and I hope that it will pay off cause I really like these guys.

P.S. Simon Pegg's shirt in the picture is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment