Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Berenstain Bears Coming to the Big Screen!


Like most kids I grew up reading The Berenstain Bears books. I loved the books, they were always funny, entertaining, and informative. Well, it's recently been revealed that Walden Media, the studio behind The Chronicles of Narnia movies, are developing a Berenstain Bears movie with producer Shawn Levy (Night at the Museum).

From my understanding, the film will be a mix of live-action and CGI. As well, it's been said that they want the film to take place in a recognizable version of the real world. Whether this means that the bears will be interacting with humans or that the world will look real, but still be inhabited by bears, I'm not sure, but I will say this film has potential either way.

Personally, I'd like to see them take the route of Where the Wild Things Are and make the bears people in costumes, then animate their faces later on with CGI. All it will take is a simple phone call to the Jim Henson company, and their Muppetry will bring the Berenstain Bears to life. My only fear is that the film will end up being the next Garfield or Alvin and the Chimpunks. Hopefully the filmmakers will follow suit after some far better children's adaptations, like Where the Wild Things Are.

Still, who should play the voices of the Berenstain Bears? I think Hugh Jackman would be the perfect Papa Bear, and Kate Winslet for Mama Bear. As the children, Elle Fanning and Jaden Smith, with Michael Caine and Julie Andrews for the grandparents. I think that this cast, mixed with Jim Henson's Muppet-like bears, could make this a fantastic children's movie classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment