Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Brutal Honesty


Have you ever seen a movie with a group of people and had the complete opposite opinion of everyone else you saw it with? Like, say you didn't like the movie, but everyone else you saw it with did. What do you do in this situation? Do you lie?

I often hate being found in situations such as these. In all honesty I want every movie I see to be an exemplary piece of filmmaking, but as we all know that isn't always the case. Of course it can also be the opposite from time-to-time, you'll love the movie but the other people you saw it with don't. It's a complex situation, trying to get people to see your way as to why you thought this particular thing about this movie.

Ultimately there is no clear answer to this situation. Currently I'm practicing brutal honesty, don't cut any movie slack. If there is something bugging me about a movie, I cut some points off of its overall score. I find this the only way to truly accentuate my thoughts on movies rather than just agreeing with the rest of the movie going public.

To me it doesn't help me when someone simply says something was good or bad, I want to know why it was good and bad, thus it would help me to know whether or not I want to see the movie and whether the negatives or positives of it would bother me. Of course, if everyone practiced brutal honesty, then it might get ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment