Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!


To many, Thanksgiving is a mish-mash of many different things. Football, turkey, family, togetherness. While all of those things are common tropes of Thanksgiving, probably the most seminal element of Thanksgiving for me is the classic Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

I've been watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City on TV every Thanksgiving for nearly my entire life. It is that thing that when I see it, I know its Thanksgiving and that Christmas is just around the corner. For me seeing this parade on TV really symbolizes the start of the Holiday season, kind of how the New Year's Eve Ceremony in Times Square marks the end.

When I was little, I always found the parade super exciting. They always had floats and balloons to some of my favorite cartoon characters, and my mom was always sitting there scoping out the high school bands and where they were from, it was just as a whole a family event to me that was fun and entertaining to watch. Now, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is more of a hallmark of the season to me than it is entertainment, but I still watch it in all its cheesiness because this is the only time of the year that you can get away with being cheesy, so why not relish in it?

From the Unicellular Review to you, Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment