Monday, November 2, 2009

What's Up Bryan Singer?


Bryan Singer, the director behind The Usual Suspects and the first two X-Men films. He's one of my more favorite directors currently working in the industry. He manages to make films that are actually about something, while also making them entertaining and visually stunning, which is a feat that very few directors in the history of cinema have ever managed to achieve.

While many fans of X-Men clamor for his return to the franchise (and he has expressed interest in returning to it in the future) at the moment it looks like he wont be coming back to it for quite some time, if ever. So what's next for him on his slate?

It's been rumored that he's developing a remake of the King Arthur tale, Excalibur for Warner Bros., as well as a film version of the classic television series Battlestar Galactica for Universal, but at the current moment it looks like his next film will be Jack the Giant Killer for New Line.

I'm not sure how I feel about either of these three. While I like the Arthurian legend, there has already been countless films made about it, so I don't think a new one is necessary. I've never seen Battlestar Galactica, but seeing as how the new show has just ended, I don't find this to be a good idea at the moment. Finally, with Jack the Giant Killer, this is the one that has the most potential, while at the same time I'm a touch wary about it.

Jack the Giant Killer is supposedly going to be an adult take on the classic fairy tale, "Jack and the Giant Beanstalk." Personally I feel that this would work better as a kid's movie, something along the lines of say Hook or something of the ilk, rather than trying to make an epic in keeping with The Lord of the Rings. Even still, it does intrigue me that they seem to be moving full steam ahead with this concept, it makes me think that the adult take might turn out to be fantastic. I've never been disappointed by Mr. Singer before, so I believe he can pull it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment