Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Trailer Rush: Robin Hood

There are certain stories that just seem to have been told to death on film. Every generation there is another filmmaker who comes along and decides they'd like to take a crack at it. One such story is Robin Hood. Well, director Ridley Scott has come along and decided he'd like to take his favorite man, Russell Crowe, and throw him into the woods of Sherwood Forest as the famed archer.

The first trailer for this film has been online for a little over a week now, but I've been debating ever since I've first seen it whether I wanted to post it or not. Before I go into my thoughts on this film, I'll just let you get a good look at the trailer and see for yourselves.



I just can't get excited for this movie. My complaints are many. First off, I've never been a huge Ridley Scott fan. Sure, back in the '80s, and even with a small resurgence in 2000 with Gladiator, he's made some good films, but for the most part, in particular in recent years, his work just seems uninspired, as if he's just kind of going through the motions, and that's what this film looks like to me. Plus, Russell Crowe is nowhere near likable enough as an actor to portray a character as virtuous as Robin Hood; the Sheriff of Nottingham maybe, but not the archer himself.

While the film does have Cate Blanchett in it, as a whole it just doesn't look all that different from Scott's own Gladiator, and at the end of the day, that isn't Robin Hood to me. Give me a swashbuckling Errol Flynn, or a Fox in a green tunic any day of the week; I'd even take American accent Kevin Costner, I mean that was a thoroughly entertaining film.

This one hits theaters next May.

No comments:

Post a Comment