Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Anyone Remember Howard the Duck?


I will always admire George Lucas as a filmmaker , but I'm just wondering, what's going on George? The word is that Lucasfilm is producing a top secret film, but it's not just any film, it's gonna be a CG-animated musical.

I'll start it off by saying, we must remember that this is the same George Lucas that brought us the original Star Wars trilogy and the first three Indiana Jones films. The same George Lucas that put his stamp on science fiction with THX 1138 and made a magnificent memoir to teenage life with American Graffiti. Yes, this George Lucas.

The word is that the film is being directed by Kevin Munroe (TMNT) and that it is a story involving fairies written by Elf-scribe David Berenbaum. The project is very top-secret from what I understand, but from the little that is known about it, it just sounds as if it might end up being another Howard the Duck (Lucas's only misfire in my opinion, hey I enjoyed the prequels).

Now Elf was a hilarious film, and I really enjoyed Munroe's take on the Ninja Turtles, I just really hope that they're targeting this towards children and not trying to get that adult swim crowd or something. I can see this film actually working in like a Disney or Shrek fashion, which might actually make it a formidable adversary for rival animated films.

For all I know, George might actually have something here, after all, the little we have to go off of is not enough to pass judgment just yet, I just hope that the film is well-done. Don't make a stupid, cheesy animated film George. Make one with integrity, and please, oh, please let the animation be better than that in The Clone Wars CG-animated series. Though, if George pulls this off, which with the talent he has involved I think he can, it could be an entirely unique experience that might have that good ol' Lucas charm. That's all I have to say on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment