Sunday, January 3, 2010

My Wishlisht in Film for this New Decade


A decade ends, another begins. I ended this last decade, a 19-year-old guy, and I'm facing in just five months time, entering my 20s and experiencing them throughout this next decade. I find it kind of odd, I'm no longer a kid, I'm at that age where it's about time to venture into adulthood.
I make no excuses that I've been a sheltered child. I'm the youngest of four children, the baby of the family, and I've never had a legitimate job that payed me on a regular basis. There are many things that will be changing in my life over the course of this next decade, but seeing as how no human has the gift of foresight, I don't know what those changes will bring. I've just got a great feeling, as one typically does at the start of anything new. I feel a great sense of promise and hope for this new decade (2010-2019).

Seeing as how one of my great passions in life is film, I'd like to make out a wishlisht of sorts for what I'd like to see happen in film over the course of this new decade. There are a great many things I'd like to see occur within the film industry over the next ten years, from the small to the big, such as at least one more classic film from my favorite filmmaker, Steven Spielberg.

I'd love to see a general return to old school movie trickery, using CGI in a more limited fashion, as it was done in 2009's Star Trek and Where the Wild Things Are. Rather than a barrage of CGI, I'd love to see more of a return to model work, make-up effects, and classic stunt work. I believe many are using computers as a crutch nowadays, and there was a time when films were made without their assistance, and made pretty darn well I might add. Now I'm not saying CGI should go the way of the dinosaur, I'd just love to see more of a balance between old school effects work and CG.

On a similar note, I'd love to see the film industry become less oriented around movie stars and special effects and more story oriented. The film studios are too concerned with who's in a movie and how many big, flashy action sequences it will have (3-D, anyone). Seriously, I'd love to see a return to story-first, everything else-second mentality, the mentality that ruled the cinema in its inception and in the 70s. Though, my next point is what could bring about this mentality.

I want to see the rise of a new class of talent, both in front of, and behind the camera. The last time a new wave of talent really rose up and took the world of cinema by storm was the late 80s and 90s, kind of stalling out at the turn of the millennium. For over the past few decades, the film industry has been subsiding on old talent, the talent of the likes of Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Tom Hanks, and Meryl Streep, these guys and girls from their generation are all growing older, and it is time for some fresh blood. Over this past decade, there was really no one that rose up to the caliber of those in the generation previous to them, and that is what the film industry needs to come into this next decade. We're already seeing a small vanguard of younger actors and actresses and directors, such as Jason Reitman and Carey Mulligan, but that still isn't enough. In order for a revolution of sorts to occur, there needs to be more than one or two people, leading into my next, and final wish for this new decade.

I desperately want to make it in the film industry, and when I say make it, I don't just mean as a member of a film's crew or whatnot, I want to have begun writing and directing feature length films that are being released in movie theaters by the end of this new decade. I know that this is a lofty wish, but it's my dream, and I genuinely feel this is what I'm meant to do with my life, so for that reason alone, I know I can make it. So as a new decade begins, it's time to start living in the now and try to make these wishes a reality. What are your wishes in film for this new decade?

No comments:

Post a Comment