Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Classics: Blow-Up


Boredom is never good for the soul, especially when one happens to be watching a movie. I'll be honest, I'm not sure if I have ever seen a movie that I was as uninterested with as I was with Michelangelo Antonioni's Blow-Up.

Blow-Up is a movie where nothing really happens. It's really a bunch of beatniks sitting about in late '60s London smoking pot and experiencing free love. When you think that a trace of a plot has been introduced when the main character, who is a photographer, discovers a dead body, the filmmakers brush it under the rug and act as if nothing happened. Really, this is a movie that felt as if they tried too hard to make an artistic statement and it just ultimately fell flat.

Blow-Up
was in its intent, trying to be edgy, and for its time it was, and I'm not gonna lie and say I wasn't impressed at times as to how Antonioni smartly shot certain sequences, hiding the nudity, simply alluding to it, but seriously, this movie just droned on and on and nothing ever happened within its two hour runtime.

I had always heard about this film, many filmmakers from the '70s citing it as one of the great inspirations for their work, so for that the film should be appreciated, but as a film itself, it just does not stand the test of time and is in all actuality a boring and uninteresting film by today's standards. And for the talent involved, Vanessa Redgrave, you could do better than this.

I give Blow Up an F!

No comments:

Post a Comment