Saturday, March 27, 2010

Boycott 3-D Cinema!


Okay, this post is purely a rant about a news story I caught this morning on FOX6 news here in Birmingham, AL. It all started, talking about the 3-D obsession that seems to have swept the entertainment industry, from film to 3-D TVs. They were talking about how 3-D, and in particular Avatar, have forever changed how movies are made, and I just got filled with frustration. 3-D is only the wave of the future because the studios are doing everything to entice moviegoers that the only way to see a particular movie is in 3-D, and moviegoers, being ignorant to the fact that they're actually shelling out 5-7 more dollars for something that should only be at an amusement park, pay and it reinforces the studios marketing strategy. Which leads to the next point. The news went from that into a story talking about how this new wave of 3-D films has led movie theater chains, like Regal and AMC, to raise ticket prices, in particular the prices of 3-D movie tickets in some cases has raised as high as 5 bucks more! The studios win again.

All of this is purely a smoke screen for the studios to make more money and regain control over the film industry like they did back in the Golden Age of Hollywood. If you call yourself a film lover, I implore you not to help re-instate the studios in their attempts to crush the little guy. 3-D is an expensive medium to produce, and if the studios continue their act of conditioning moviegoers into thinking that 3-D is the only way to see a film, it will destroy the little guy, a.k.a. independent film. The studios despise indies, I truly believe so. Why? Cause they're movies that they can't control, the studios want control, that's what it all boils down to is power. If the studios have their way, and their plans to crush independent film succeed, then film will revert back to a rich boy's game and little guys like me will never have a chance to make it in the film industry unless one comes from money. I'm sorry for the rant, but the point of this, is boycott 3-D! If you love cinema, don't give your money to reinforce the machine.

4 comments:

  1. Disagree! I think that no matter what happens with mainstream films indie movies will always be around. Sundance will still be around and SXSW will still be around therefore the indie will as well. I think this is a technology that we, as movie lovers, should embrace. Just like color when it was first released, and sound when it was first added people are going to resist this change but I believe it is inevitable and I am happily awaiting it. I still love seeing movies in 2d but I do believe that I wouldnt have enjoyed Avatar OR How to train your dragon as much if I hadn't seen them in 3d. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I only support movies in 3d if they were FILMED and MEANT to be in 3d. I can't stand it when 3d is added as an afterthought. For instance, I saw Alice in Wonderland in 2d and it was just as terrible as it wouldve been in 3d and I plan on seeing Clash of the Titans in 3d. If the director didn't mean for it to be 3d then it shouldnt be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *I plan on seeing Clash of the titans in 2d lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll just have to say agree to disagree on this one, because I seriously do not think that 3-D is as big of a change as sound or color, it just isn't. Not until 3-D films can be made to where you don't need the glasses. Of course, if the studios continue to shove it down our throats like they are now, it will be a gamechanger. But, if you ask me, Imax is where film should go, not 3-D.

    ReplyDelete