Monday, March 22, 2010

It's Official, Chris Evans is Captain America!


Rumors were rampant over the weekend that actor Chris Evans (the Human Torch from the much misunderstood Fantastic Four films) had been cast to portray Captain America in the Joe Johnston-directed film, The First Avenger: Captain America. Well, confirmation has now come, and Chris Evans will be the Captain. Over the weekend I had been hearing he had been offered the role, but I did not want to say anything till it was official. Well, he accepted it, so it's pretty much a done deal, with Evans expected to do at least three Captain America films and also portray the character in The Avengers film bringing him together with the likes of Robert Downey, Jr. and Edward Norton.

While Evans does not have the right build for Captain America, I actually like him as an actor. I thought he shined in Fantastic Four and I loved him in the thriller Cellular. I have no doubt he'll be able to infuse the role with charm, and he'll play the part well, being a good All-American boy, but I'm mainly worried about his physique. Captain America is a buff hero; I always kind of imagined Brad Pitt in the suit, that is the kind of body build, especially Fight Club Brad Pitt, but Evans might bulk up and surprise all.

Right now I'm trying to remain optimistic, but it's hard knowing that they nearly cast someone like Chaning Tatum or John Krasinski in the part, but Evans, out of the shortlist was the best choice, and in terms of his face, he has the chiseled chin to look good in the mask, which is really important for a masked hero. He might just pull it out, so I'm gonna be behind this for the moment, plus with Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith from The Matrix) playing the baddie, Red Skull, how can ya not wanna see this?

No comments:

Post a Comment