Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oscar Watch-Special Edition: Predicting the Big Show!


Update: 14 out of 21, my final tally. Not that bad, but could have done a lot better had I not tried going against the grain on Best Picture, just think I overestimated the preferential voting system. As for the Tech stuff I missed, those were always a toss up leading in to the show, so some of 'em I wasn't shocked to get wrong.

Alright, tonight's the night. The night I have been waiting for since this point last year. Like all good things, you have to wait, but time for the Oscars has rolled around once more. Tonight is the 82nd Annual Academy Awards on ABC, and I couldn't be more ecstatic. This is the culmination of a year's worth of predicting and whatnot, and now it is time to go big or go home (to borrow a line from Brink!).

This year is all out of sorts when it comes to the Oscars, so many new things instituted. In particular the change from 5 to 10 nominees in the field of Best Picture, not to mention the new preferential voting system for the same category that will ensure that the winner is in all actuality the best film based upon a general consensus and not the film that got the most number one votes. For the reasons listed above, this years Oscar race is far tighter than anyone really wants to think about. Surprises are definitely in order I feel. Anyhow, it's time for me to stop yapping and toss out my predictions for the Oscars! I have been waiting a whole year to say that.

On a side note, since I have not seen any of the shorts in contention, I find it unfair to try and predict those three categories, so there will only be 21 of the 24 categories predicted here. Now, as for the rest of the bunch, I have a few surprises lined up, so don't be too terribly shocked. Alright, here we go:

Best Picture - Up in the Air

Best Director - Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker

Best Actor - Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

Best Actress - Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

Best Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actress - Mo'Nique, Precious

Best Original Screenplay - Mark Boal, The Hurt Locker

Best Adapted Screenplay - Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner, Up in the Air

Best Animated Feature - Up

Best Foreign Language Film - The White Ribbon

Best Documentary - The Cove

Best Cinematography - The Hurt Locker

Best Film Editing - The Hurt Locker

Best Visual Effects - Avatar

Best Sound Mixing - Avatar

Best Sound Editing - Avatar

Best Art Direction - Avatar

Best Costume Design - The Young Victoria

Best Make-up - The Young Victoria

Best Original Score - Michael Giacchino, Up

Best Original Song - T Bone Burnett & Ryan Bingham, "The Weary Kind," from Crazy Heart

That's it for my predictions. Tune in tonight to the Oscars on ABC and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment