Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Runaways to the Big Screen


Marvel seems to be on the ball as of late, at least about getting their comic franchises to the big screen. As was their hope when they became Marvel Studios and incorporated with Disney, more and more of their lesser known comic book properties are going to make it to the big screen, and one such property is the comic, Runaways. Unlike many lesser known comics being made, I've actually heard of this one, which is why I'm talking about it.

Runaways tells the story of a group of teenagers with superpowers who discover that their parents are all super villains, so they band together and run away. It's a unique premise, and I've actually read the first few issues and I kind of like it, it still seems a touch generic Marvel to me, but it might pick up. Regardless, the premise is fresh and ripe enough to make a fascinating film. My biggest fear is that the film will be too much like Disney's own Sky High and wont retain any of the adult material within the comic, I mean the comic is more kid-friendly than some, but it's still PG-13 material. With the tapping of Peter Sollett (Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist) as director, it seems as if it will retain some of its edge, but I am now afraid that the film will be too hipster in aesthetic. Oh, well. We'll just have to wait and see on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment