Friday, April 9, 2010

To the 9th Power!


Okay, this is what I'm considering a power post. It's been a busy past few days on my front, editing my latest film, Heaven's Touch. The film is shaping up good, but the cursed wind created a few audio problems for one scene, where we shot in a wide open field and it just happened to be like 10 mph winds the entire shoot. It will all hopefully work out, and we're pretty close to begin after effects work and scoring. While I've been busy this week, it's also been a pretty busy week in terms of movie news, so that is why I'm kind of packaging all of this info. into one post.

One of the more interesting things that was finally confirmed this week, is Harrison Ford's involvement with Iron Man director, Jon Favreau's adaptation of the Vertigo comic, Cowboys & Aliens. The film takes place in the Wild West and is essentially the battle between Cowboys & Indians except the Indians are replaced by Invading Aliens. I'm real apathetic to the premise, but the cast and crew for this film are shaping up nicely. Ford will be joining Daniel Craig and Olivia Wilde in the film, and as mentioned it is being directed by Jon Favreau, one of the finer studio directors currently playing the game. While I'm still baffled as to how convincing the story will come across in live-action, I gotta say I love the idea of Ford portraying a grizzled old cowboy, I mean, it's kind of as if Han Solo is gonna get transported to the Wild West. There are rumors he might be the bad guy in the film, and if so, that could be an intriguing twist for one of Hollywood's greatest action heroes of all-time.

Though, one thing I'm just purely giddy about was the announcement that a sequel to the spy comedy, Johnny English, is in the works. Johnny English 2 will bring back Rowan Atkinson's awesome super spy, Johnny English, an incompetent version of James Bond. I'm typically not a fan of stupid comedy, but there was something about the original that was just hilarious to me. Maybe it was the British-ness. While the first film was not a hit in the States, overseas it made a fair amount of money, which is why it has probably taken so long to finally get the greenlight, but this is pretty much for real. The script is written, a director is attached, Atkinson is on board, and the film is set to begin filming this Summer, so all in all, I couldn't be any more excited than I am right now.

One interesting thing I heard about today, that while isn't movie news but T.V. news, it still has to do with one of Hollywood's biggest figures, director Steven Spielberg. Spielberg is overseeing the development of a new mini-series on Discovery Channel called Future Earth. Like the Planet Earth mini-series, this will be similar, but it will accumulate predictions from some of the world's leading scholars and futurists as to what the world will be like 25-100 years in the future. Animation will be used to date our world into the future, and I just think this sounds like a fascinating idea, it's definitely one that I'm intrigued to see, here's just hoping it can live up to the bar set by Planet Earth. Regardless, it's always fun to predict, and I think it's definitely bold to try and predict the future of our entire planet, I just really hope it wont be a bunch of doomsday scenarios.

Finally, I'm gonna wrap up today with the trailer for one of the bigger indies at this year's Sundance Film Festival, The Kids Are All Right. The film will be released in theaters July 7th by Focus Features. It definitely gives off the quirky indie vibe in the trailer, but from what I've read, the film actually has a ton of heart and many are pegging it as an early Oscar contender for next year's Academy Awards, in particular in screenwriting and acting for Julianne Moore. I personally think it looks kind of funny, while I'm not sure I see all of the Oscar buzz in this trailer, I definitely want to see this film. Check out the trailer below:

No comments:

Post a Comment