Sunday, April 18, 2010

Where Are All the Good Films At?


I know that the first half of the year is typically where studios dump all of their product that has no other place so that they can try to turn a small profit before it goes to DVD within just 2-3 months, but seriously, this year seems to be one of the worst, with average blockbuster-fare like Alice in Wonderland taking the highest grossing spot of the year thus far. Thank goodness it's almost Summer, where we can hope things will turn around.

The Summer movie season will get a pretty good kick-off with Iron Man 2, most likely. While there is some skepticism as to whether or not the film will deliver in the same capacity as the first, it still looks like a good time at the cinema. After that there are a lot of question marks filtered throughout this Summer. While I love the Prince of Persia video games, the film just doesn't seem to be clicking; perhaps it will be a surprise, but I'm not sure. As well, Pixar's latest offering, Toy Story 3 has yet to elicit any real excitement from me, and to be honest, I'm worried this might be Pixar's first misfire (aside from Cars, of course).

This year is just so weak at the moment in terms of top notch cinema, and what is coming out doesn't give one much to look forward to. Both Tron Legacy and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows-Part 1 don't hit till Winter of this year, leaving me feeling very cold at the moment. The only thing to really hype for this Summer is Chris Nolan's Inception, which looks astounding, but other than that there is nothing. While the indie-comedy, The Kids Are All Right has a July release, and Stallone's big action-fest, The Expendables, round out the Summer with a nice flair, neither of these look to be year's best material to me. Maybe I'm just sad and heartbroken because the highest grade I have given a 2010 film so far this year has been a B+. I really hope Iron Man 2 can at least earn an A to break this string, cause otherwise, this is a bad start-off for a new decade of cinema.

While I'm subsiding off of catching up on some classics I've never seen before and a few 2009 films I still have yet to see, Hollywood really needs to get their game on and deliver, cause audiences wont wait forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment