Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Movie Review: The A-Team


Out of my Dad's affection for the original TV Show, I took him to see film remake of The A-Team for Father's Day. Now, I don't have much knowledge of the initial show other than what my Dad's told me, but I will say that if the TV Show was anything like this movie, I might give it a go, cause the film was a rip-roaring good time, albeit a tad outrageous and over-the-top.

The A-Team is an elite Alpha Unit for the US military, led by Col. Hannibal Smith, played by Liam Neeson, chewing up the scenery as much as he chews on his cigars. But when the A-Team is accused of a crime in which they didn't commit, they all four bust out of military prison to clear their names as the A-Team. The movie's greatest strength is that it's just fun, I mean, not many movies have this much high flying action and carnage without any real consequences. While Quinton "Rampage" Jackson is funny as B.A. "Pity the Fool" Baracus, it's Sharlto Copley as Murdock that steals each scene he's in. He's hilariously foolish to the point in which I don't think Murdock thinks like the rest of us, which might explain why if he's not in the care of Hannibal he's in mental hospitals. Rounding out the team is Bradley Cooper as Face who walks through every scene with a ladies' man swagger, but it's Patrick Wilson as CIA agent and badguy Agent Lynch that makes one laugh with his egotistical, frat boy antics that he embarks upon with the aid of his CIA badge.

While the movie would have been stronger had it stayed around the 90 minute mark opposed to two full hours of buffoonery, still, the movie manages to hold on during the slow paces of the final act and deliver the hilariously unbelievable thrills you've come to expect from this franchise. I probably wont remember it at year's end, and it definitely isn't Oscar caliber, but as a good time with my Dad, The A-Team excels.

I give The A-Team a B!

No comments:

Post a Comment