Sunday, January 10, 2016

My Predictions for the 2016 Golden Globes!

It's awards season again.  It seems to have really snuck up on me this year, in particular because a lot of the movies up for the awards just haven't appealed to me personally as a moviegoer.  With that said, I always love covering this season which is meant to celebrate the best that the movie industry has to offer (even if the best movie of last year -- cough -- Star Wars -- cough -- isn't nominated for much of anything).  As is usual, the Golden Globes are the official kick-off, typically being the first awards show to get under way.  The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (who vote on the Globes) has long been known to favor star power over anything else, so we'll see what happens tonight.  I don't expect any major surprises, and with the always questionable distinctions made between which movies are a Comedy and which are a Drama, like The Martian being considered a comedy this year, really means a wide swath of Hollywood stars will be honored.  While I honestly don't like host Ricky Gervais, the host isn't the reason I watch these things, let's just hope that the acceptance speeches don't get too political, even though some undoubtedly will.

As I do every year I only predict the film categories and not the television ones, mainly because that is a whole different ball game and I am not well versed enough to try and cover that.  So here we go, here are my first set of predictions for this awards season with my predictions for the 2016 Golden Globes!  I always feel the Globes are the hardest to predict and as such am making some bold predictions, and for a full list of nominees click this link.

Best Foreign Language Film - Son of Saul
Best Animated Film - Inside Out
Best Original Score - The Hateful Eight
Best Original Song - "Writing's on the Wall" from Spectre
Best Screenplay - The Hateful Eight
Best Director - George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina
Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Sylvester Stallone, Creed
Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy - Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy - Matt Damon, The Martian
Best Actress in a Drama - Cate Blanchett, Carol
Best Actor in a Drama - Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) - The Martian
Best Motion Picture (Drama) - Spotlight

No comments:

Post a Comment