Friday, May 7, 2010

Summer Movie Season Has Arrived!


No more school, I've cut the grass today, this must mean only one thing, Summer Movie Season is upon us, quite possibly my favorite time of the year!

For me, Summer officially kicks off today with the release of Iron Man 2, soon to be followed over the next three months with Blockbuster, after Blockbuster, after Blockbuster. While I'm not as pumped about many of the movies this Summer as I have been in previous Summers, there is no denying that this is a special time of the year for us diehard cinephiles. This was the time of year that gave us Jaws, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and in more recent years awesome superhero flicks like Spider-man and Batman Begins/The Dark Knight. There are so many memories I have of these sweltering Summer days, sitting within a dark, air-conditioned movie theater, being swept away to another time and place for a few hours of escapist entertainment.

As is usual with every Summer, there will be a film or two that comes out of nowhere and surprises us all, there will be the movies that just miss the mark entirely, and then there will be the movies that live up to their hype. As it is, I definitely wanna see Iron Man 2, but the real Summer movie I wanna see is director Christopher Nolan's Inception, and I'm not gonna lie, there is a small part of me that wants to see the remake of The Karate Kid. Personally, Robin Hood looks to be a horrible representation of one of my favorite literary characters, and Toy Story 3 has distilled no real desire within me. A movie I'm still on the fence about is Prince of Persia, but all question marks should be addressed in due time, cause Summer movie season is finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment