Sunday, February 21, 2010

Predicting the BAFTA Film Awards


Update: Well, on the upside this was my first time predicting the BAFTAs, so inevitably I wasn't going to be that solid, next year will be much better. This year I went 11/23, better than I thought I would do, to be honest. I was a touch shocked at how strong the support for The Hurt Locker actually was, it bringing home Best Film, Director, and Original Screenplay, along with Best Sound, Cinematography, and Editing.

In some cases I overestimated the support for local product like An Education in the top category, but in others I didn't give thought to the British Academy honoring one of their own, like their giving Colin Firth Best Actor for A Single Man. I did quite enjoy Carey Mulligan finally getting her due and winning Best Actress for An Education. Of course, Avatar was really kind of beat with the ugly stick tonight, only bringing home a pair of awards for Visual Effects and Production Design, which if tonight was any indication, The Hurt Locker is a safer Best Picture bet at the Oscars than Avatar.

So there we have it, my first time predicting the BAFTAs, but I have a feeling, as poorly as I did this year the only way I can really go is Up, which by the way won for Best Animated Feature and Music (and yes, I know that was an awfully cheesy segue, mainly because I couldn't find a good place to fit it in above).

Original Post: The BAFTAs are the British equivalent of the Academy Awards. It stands for the British Academy of Film and Televisions Arts, a mouthful. In the past the BAFTAs have been accused of just merely trying to predict Oscar, essentially being another precursor to the Academy Awards like the Golden Globes, though occasionally a British film will surprise and actually win the highest honor. Personally, I don't get why this is considered a British awards show since they have to have a special category called Best British Film in order to award their country's own product because Best Film is generally populated by American films, which is no different this year with the likes of Avatar, The Hurt Locker, Up in the Air, and Precious being nominated. The only British film up for Best Film is An Education, and I think that this film will have the strongest showing at the show tonight.

I'm actually extremely excited about tonight. This is my first year predicting the BAFTAs because in previous years past I hadn't been able to watch it so I didn't bother, but this year my cable package now includes BBC America and I'm gonna be watching and I can't wait. So this is my first real stab at trying to guess the winners, so I might get 'em all horribly wrong. Here it goes:

Best Film - An Education
Best British Film - An Education
Best Director - Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Best Actor - Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
Best Actress - Carey Mulligan, An Education
Best Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
Best Supporting Actress - Mo'Nique, Precious
Best Original Screenplay - Mark Boal, The Hurt Locker
Best Adapted Screenplay - Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci, Tony Roche, In the Loop
Best Cinematography - Inglourious Basterds
Best Editing - Avatar
Best Costume Design - Coco Before Chanel
Best Production Design - Avatar
Best Make-up/Hair - Nine
Best Sound - Avatar
Best Visual Effects -Avatar
Best Film Music - Michael Giacchino, Up
Best Non-English Language Film - The White Ribbon
Best Animated Feature Film - Up
Best Short Animation - The Happy Duckling
Best Short Film - I Do Air
Orange Rising Star Award - Carey Mulligan
Most Promising Newcomer - Duncan Jones, Moon (Director)

Alright those are my predictions. Tune into the BAFTAs at 7 o'clock tonight on BBC America, and after the show I'll be back to see how well I did. Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment