Thursday, December 3, 2009

Film Scores at the Grammys

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not that big of a fan of music. All I ever really listen to is film scores, so I think it's only natural that I'm not that big of a fan of the Grammys. The only category I ever really care for when it comes time for the Grammys is the Best Score Soundtrack Album. Well, the nominations for the Grammys have been announced, and the Best Score Soundtrack Album category is filled with some intriguing choices.

The Oscars and the Grammys rarely match up on this category, just look at last year where The Dark Knight brought home the gold at the Grammys and it wasn't even nominated for the Best Original Score Oscar. As well, this year, two of the nominees are in fact from last year's award season but missed out on the cut off for last year's awards. Still, I find this years Best Score Soundtrack Album category a solid list. Check it out:

Alexandre Desplat, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Nicholas Hooper, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Danny Elfman, Milk
Michael Giacchino, Star Trek
Michael Giacchino, Up

I'm very pleased to see the double nominations for Michael Giacchino, hopefully this is how everything will pan out come time for Oscars, but I have a feeling only one from Mr. Giacchino will make it to the Oscar ballots. I personally feel Star Trek is the best film score of the year thus far, but since Up, the film itself, is more of a critic's favorite than Star Trek, Up will probably win out when it comes time for the Oscar nominations.

I'm also pleased to see Nicholas Hooper be recognized for his score for the latest Harry Potter film, which I thought was a fascinating score, but alas I feel that he is the true underdog in this category, and an Oscar nomination is probably not a possibility

At the end of the day, I actually feel that Star Trek is the frontrunner in this category at the moment. Have a listen to Giacchino's score for the film and decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment