Sunday, December 20, 2009
Top 5: Christmas Movies
There are a slew of Christmas movies out there, but only a small handful of them in my opinion are actually any good. Out of that handful of good Christmas movies, even less of them are great.
I've decided, with Christmas only five days away, to rank the list of my five favorite Christmas movies of all-time. All five of these Christmas movies are great, not just good, and deserve to be seen to get filled with the holiday spirit. As you will see, majority of these films hail from my childhood, and I think that is because each year at Christmas we try to recapture the children inside all of us. Without further ado, let's get started:
5. The Muppet Christmas Carol - Michael Caine as Ebenezer Scrooge, along with the entire cast of the Muppets, it doesn't get any better. What's more, is this version of Charles Dickens' classic tale is actually emotionally resonant, unlike just about any other version ever made.
4. Elf - Will Ferrel shines here as Buddy the Elf. It is a offbeat comedy filled with quirky humor, but the character of Buddy is so lovable you can't help but be swept away by this movie.
3. Home Alone - This one is a genuine classic. Everyone knows the classic scream from Macaulay Culkin. Not only is this film one of the funnier Christmas movies ever made, but it is also a heartwarming film that is great for the entire family.
2. The Santa Clause - Tim Allen is the perfect Santa Claus. The film starts off as a riotous comedy and turns into an emotional fairy tale about a boy and his father, who just happens to be Santa Claus. You just have to love this film if you have any Christmas spirit.
1. It's a Wonderful Life - The best Christmas movie ever made, hands down. The story of George Bailey learning the importance of one man's life is one of those holiday hallmarks. Alongside the evil old Mr. Potter and my favorite character, Clarence the Angel, this is one of those Christmas movies that gives one not just the true meaning of Christmas, but the true meaning of life in general.
Well, what are you waiting for? Go out and watch these five films and get into the holiday spirit. Merry Christmas!