Sunday, November 1, 2009

Anything and Everything


I'm often asked by others, what kind of movies do I like? It's a question that I find to be too broad to answer directly. My typical answer is simply, anything good, of course that's just to appease the questioner, but it gets me wondering, what are my favorite types of movies?

When I think about it, anything good could apply to a comedy or a drama, a big budget blockbuster or a small scale independent, or perhaps a foreign language art film even. At the end of the day, I think the appropriate answer to this question is really, I like to watch anything and everything.

While there are certain genres that I tend to favor more than others (fantasy and science fiction as opposed to grotesque horror movies) I still have managed to find movies in every single genre that I think to be brilliant pieces of cinema. But you may ask, how is it possible for the same guy who loves Star Wars to also like something like Raging Bull or the French art film, Amelie?

I don't really know. I guess to me, a good film is a good film, regardless as to whether it was made with artistic aspirations or made simply to entertain, whether it was a small scale production or an epic piece of cinema, or whether the film was made here in the United States or in another country.

Good films can come from anywhere and in all shapes and sizes. We just have to keep our eyes open and not miss the little guys that often fly under the radar, and vice versa to people who tend to be prejudiced to larger scale productions. Movies are made to be seen and to entertain, so let them.

No comments:

Post a Comment