Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Is Avatar All Talk?


One of the hot items for about the past year amongst countless film publications is James Cameron's upcoming sci-fi epic, Avatar. The film has been talked up as this revolutionary piece of cinema, combining photo-realistic 3-D motion capture with live action and CGI to create a world in which does not exist to men. Many have been claiming that Avatar will be the film that finally makes 3-D a staple in the market place, claiming that the change Avatar will bring to the industry will be similar to the advents of sound and color way back in the day. Not only all of this, Avatar has been rumored to be the most expensive film ever produced. My big question is, is Avatar all just a bunch of talk, or is it for real going to be this groundbreaking piece of cinema?

Personally, I've never been real impressed with motion capture. While the new method of motion capture that Avatar has utilized is a major improvement in terms of relaying the actor's performance, when the CGI body is implemented next to that of a real human's, it just looks fake. I mean, from all I've seen, the movie looks fun and exciting, and I kind of continue to bat back-and-forth on it. Sometimes I just wanna see the adventure unfold, other times I'm just a touch disappointed because the film was so well hyped before any footage was seen. As well, I just really think 3-D is still a far way away from being the staple of the film industry.

Even still, Avatar is shrouded in mystery. Not much is known about the story, even after countless trailers, which might be why I'm not as enamored as I'd like to be at this point. All I've seen is countless shots of action sequences, nothing that relays the potential heart inherent in the story. Perhaps once I finally see it and get the full sum of everything, I wont care about all the CGI. Hey, with Peter Jackson's King Kong, I was so enamored by the heart and the mystery he laced the story with, I completely forgot that almost 80% of it was CG. Perhaps the same will happen with Avatar.

My main concern with this film though, is did it wait too long to try and get into the public's eye? For this film to truly be revolutionary, it has to be successful, and if it was as expensive as many of the reports have been, then that wont be an easy task. At the current moment, Avatar is still only on the radars of a few, majority of the general moviegoing public have no clue what it is, and we're less than a month away.

Avatar's day is fast approaching, let's hope it delivers when it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment